Sunday, April 27, 2008

Books i have read this year

alright, this may seem like the most boring post ever, but boring is my life sometimes. i fill my free time with reading or 'honey-do's' I have been on a revolutionary era kick and have been reading alot of biographies and history's of that era. It was amazing how much i really didn't know...pretty amazing historical time. i am also learning how to prune trees, since i planted a peach tree, and have a couple cherry and plum trees. and how to grow a square-foot garden... (ask Deena) it is all pretty cool and fun. so without further adu...this is how i spent my year.

The Wizard of Oz (Frank Baum)
Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
David Copperfield (Charles Dickens)
Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austin)
The Law (Bastiat)
The Island of The Blue Dolphins (Scott O'Dell)
Alices Adventures in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll)
The Real Thomas Jefferson (Skousen)
The Real Benjamin Franklin (Skousen)
The Real George Washington (Skousen)
John Adams (David McCullough)
The Lone Survivor the story of Marcus Lutrell
The Hunting of The Snark (Lewis Carroll)
Moby Dick (Herman Melville)
Think Big and Kick (butt) (Donald Trump)
The Seasons of Life (Jim Rohn)
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Washington Irving)
The 5,000 Year Leap (Skousen)
1491...New Revelations of Life Before Colombus (Charles C. Mann)
The Walking Drum (Louis L'Amour)
The Lonesome Gods (Loius L'amour)
Shadow Divers (Robert Kurson)
The Spiderwick Chronicles (Ditterlizzy and Black)
Leven Thumps and The Gateway To Foo (Obert Skye)
The Chosen (Chaim Potak)
The Merchant of Venice (Shakespear)
The Indian in The Cupboard


I Highly recommend almost all of these books!! the hardest reads were Les miserables (my new favorite book of all time) and Moby Dick! i will probably never read another Jane Austin book, it is just too victorian and hard for me to take! Deena loves them though. the Original Alice in Wonderland is suprisingly good and entertaining. the Real Thomas Jefferson and series are wonderful! The Lonesome Gods was absolutely fantastic. and i recommend to anybody interested in american history you will enjoy 1491. it goes against 'conventional' and in my opinion flawed views on american history. it is really good. Some of these may seem weird for a 32 year old to read but i read them to my kids (usually Caleb) and i ended up enjoying them for the most part as well.

8 comments:

Von and Maureen said...

That is amazing! Way to go. YOu can learn almost anything if you have a desire and enjoy reading. You have picked such good ones, there is so much just plain junk out there. Because of you and Deena, and Rebekah, I have started to read more of the classics and more non-ficton then ever before. I love Jane Austin for the light and fun stories she writes. I think some of the other older books (written in a different era) are great to read and you don't have to worry about the trashy stuff popping up. It is like they spent more time on developing a story, and really had a msessage they wanted to tell. IN my opinion, more then most modern authors do. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing and recommending. mom

Josh said...

that is soo true mom! they spent time developing characters and plots that are so enjoyable and ...make you smarter by reading them. you can learn so much about any era you wish to know more about by reading the authors who lived in those eras! i think i will try some Aristotle and Plato next. i have been realy interested in learning more about the ancient greeks and philosophy.

Rachel Ure said...

well, i just finished "reading" ( I usually prefer book on tape) the last harry potter. I tried reading it when i came out - but the guy who reads the story on cd is soooo good that i just stopped reading and waited for the cd's to come available at the library. I was emotional the whole last half of the story. i know it's complete fiction- but it was really great. Maybe i will try something a little more challenging next. the way my brain and attention span is going i will probably only be able to handle doctor sues by the time I'm 40.
Good for you for keeping your mind challenged!

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Josh,

I am impressed. I really wish I was more of a reader. I have always chalked it up to my short attention span... THose sound like great books. The books I have found that I can read are non-fiction biographies or historical accounts. My favorites that I have read have been biographies of explorers like JOhn C Fremont, Jedediah Smith, Lewis adn Clark, and DOminguez adn Escalante. Also, Annie and I read Robert Louis Stevenson's "Kidnapped" that was a good one. Your an inspiration. Maybe I'll pick one from your list.

Jake

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Josh, were those in 2008 or 2007?

Why weren't you a literature major? Or a history major? It seems perfect for you?

Thanks for the list. I definately am going to read some of them. It's amazing how fast I can fly through a 700 pg. fiction novel and the three non-fictions I am reading right now i have even gotten half way through and I've been reading them for two months.

Rachel... Jim Dale is the BEST!!!! He really makes H.P come alive. I think I am going to put him in my car and listen to the first book again. I love his HErmione voice.

Love you all!
Annie

Josh said...

i read these from april 2007 to april 2008

Rebekah said...

look at you sounding all impressive!
really, it is neat to see the list and think of all the new knowledge you have.
I just loved The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It was a bit much for my kids, but I think this Halloween our parents and siblings should read it. David and I really got a kick out of Icabod--his food fedish and such.
I have read some of the others you read this year and am excited to read more.
you are an inspiration!

Daniel and Angie Callister said...

holy cow