Sunday, October 4, 2009

Jimminy Cricket






I remember Dad getting a jimminy Cricket toy at work (or someplace) because it was the charactor that most reminded these people of Dad, or at least their thinking was that Dad, had a very Jimminy Cricket -ish personality. I thought that was pretty fitting for a man who "always lets his concience be his guide'.

I spent last night at the priesthood session alone, for the first time in, I don't know how long. I always have Dad and usually Dan with me, they were both gone for this one. It was telling that there was a talk about Fathers and Sons. Brother Ballard said that Fathers need to listen to their sons, and sons should seek advise from their fathers. Well, I have an exemplary Father, who i know had an exemplary father as well. I thank my 'lucky stars' this is the case. I can remember his attempt at the awkward (for both of us) bird and bees talk, I know he was trying to do what he as a father should do. mostly I remember that he never blew me off, there where times when i am sure it wasn't the most convienient or pleasant thing to father me. however, even in my more rebellious times, my friends always commented on how much they liked me dad. i know my dad didn't approve of what we were doing most of the time, but he genuinely liked my friends, he saw past adolesent stupidity and saw them as people with potential. Jeff, and Thayne, Matt Maio, Jason, all made comments about how they liked my dad, not because he condoned things we did, but because he was always friendly and asking them about thier lives, he was a fatherly figure to some of them who were missing that in thier own homes. Dad never left me out when i was living on my own. he came by all the time to see if i wanted to go golf, or come over for dinner, or go hiking or camping. I know he thought that if he gave me opportunities to be with family i would come back to family.. and he was RIGHT!!

i could go on.... and on. but i just want to wish my Dad a happy birthday! and let him know that i love him and hope that i can be half the dad to my kids as he was and still is to me!

7 comments:

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Well said Josh. I was pretty moved by Elder Ballard's talk last night as well. We have and will do well to watch closely, and listen closely to Dad. How did we get so lucky? Thanks for sharing.

Jake

Rebekah said...

I was reading that out loud to David and got a choke in my throat and tears in my eyes.
Dad is the greatest.
He always stands just out of the spotlight, but radiates a simple and sincere love that touches lives in such a direct way!

Von and Maureen said...

love the jimminy cricket idea. i think the association also has something to do with dads whistling and how he too randomly breaks into expressive ballads ("when you wish upon a star"....can't you just hear him singing that)

Rachel Ure said...

that last one was actually from me

Deborah and Stephen said...

i can see dad breaking into song rachel as well! In fact I remember being just as excited as poco to have dad come home. He would always sing a little song as I sat on mom and dads bed.. "what's your name, whos your daddy" mm love dad! thanks for sharing as well josh! it is fun to hear others experiences with dad

Daniel and Angie Callister said...

I had the pleasure of spending the last week and a half in extremely close association with our father including his birthday. He is a super guy and an awesome example to me. I finally figured out why all the grandkids love dad, it's because he gets just as excited as they do about simple and often overlooked things. Dad was like a kid in a candy store at all these church history sites, asking questions that made most of us roll our eyes or chuckle, but he was living it up. What a guy! love ya dad,

dan

Von and Maureen said...

Josh, sorry that I am last to respond to your much appreciated birthday thoughts. Being a dad isn't easy, is it? I had awkword times just as I am sure that most fathers do. How do our kids ever turn out great with dads who have to learn as they go. Fortunately, many of us have fathers who loved us and who showed us what is most important about being a father. I love you and probably feel more connection to you than your brothers and sister, because you and I were learning and growing together. I so much wanted to be a great father like my father was to me and it just isn't easy, but as I look back on experiences I can now see that I was receiving a lot of help. I feel like the luckiest father ever because I have 6 loving children who express that love in meaningful ways. Thank you for leading the way.